Use your breath as a way to experience God's presence and meditate on his Word.
SLOW DOWN & TAKE DEEP BREATHS
“Breathing a prayer to God is a simple way of using your body to engage your mind on the Word of God. Whispering the words of Scripture as you are breathing in and out, slowly and deeply, over and over, can help you to “abide” in Christ (John 15:4,5,9).” - Soul Shepherding Breath Prayers
- To begin, slow down your breathing (and your heart rate!) by breathing in deep…holding your breath for a few seconds, then slowly exhaling…
- Imagine as if you’re breathing in God’s Spirit with the oxygen in the air (the Holy Spirit is all around you and inside of you).
- As you hold your breath, hold your sense of the indwelling Holy Spirit.
- Imagine you’re breathing out your anxieties and sins with the carbon dioxide so that you can live freely in God’s loving presence and power.
PSALM 23 BREATH PRAYER
- Breathe in slowly and deeply as you whisper or think: “The Lord is my Shepherd…”
- Hold your breath and your consciousness of God’s presence…
- And then exhale as you whisper or think: “…I shall not want.”
OTHER BREATH PRAYERS
- Peace… Be still. (Mark 4:39)
- Speak Lord… I am listening. (1 Sam. 3:9)
- Abba…I belong to you. (Romans 8:15)
- I am anxious for nothing….I give thanks…and make my needs known to you. (Phil. 4:6)
- Lord, shine your face on me…. Lord, give me peace. (Num. 6:25-28)
- When I am afraid, I put my trust in you. (Psalm 56:3)
From 15 Breath Prayers to Squash Anxiety